Ayrshire Archaeological &
Natural History Society

The society was founded in 1947 to promote the study of Ayrshire history and natural history.

For the history of the society prior to the founding of the AANHS see AANHS Collections 1947-1949 Second Series Volume 1.

At the instigation of R W Cochran-Patrick of Woodside, a meeting was held in the County Buildings, Ayr on 19th October 1877 to consider the formation of an Archaeological Society for the counties of Ayr and Wigtown. This was the inception of the Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Archaeological Association. The AWAA published descriptions, illustrated with plans or drawings of various prehistoric and mediaeval remains in the counties of Ayr and Wigtown; printed early charters, manuscripts, historical documents, ecclesiastical, municipal and parochial records and other material relating to the history, antiquities, topography and genealogy of the district. The first volume appeared in 1878. In 1885 the title of the society was changed to the Ayrshire and Galloway Archaeological Association to extend its scope to Kirkcudbright. This Association was wound up in 1897 at the 14th general meeting. In all, the Association published 18 volumes, including 2 at R Vans Agnew’s expense on Sir Patrick Waus. The list of publications is given below. There is an index to them on pp12-22 of AANHS Collections Second Series Volumes 1.

Archaeological and Historical Collections
of Ayr and Wigton 
Vol 1
1878
Vol 2
1880
Vol 3
1882
Vol 4
1884
Archaeological and Historical Collections
of Ayrshire and Galloway 
Vol 5
1885
Vol 6
1889
Vol 7
1894
Vol 8
1894
Vol 9
1895
Vol 10
1899
Charters of the Royal Burgh of Ayr 

1883
Charters of the Friars Preachers of Ayr 

1881
Charters of Crossraguel Abbey 
Vol 1
1886
Vol 2
1886
Sir Patrick Waus 
Vol 1
1887
Vol 2
1887
Muniments of the Royal Burgh of Irvine 
Vol 1
1890
Vol 2
1890